To address the imminent challenges of climate Change and to improve the regional integration in research programmes, a SASSCAL 2.0 research portfolio was developed beyond national ambits and with consideration for the cornerstones of SASSCAL’s research and capacity building value proposition namely; relevance, excellence and innovativeness, capacity development and regional integration. The SASSCAL 2.0 research portfolio is conceptualized to enhance internationally recognized research programmes, intensify continental and global engagement by developing and expanding international research collaboration, building sustainable multinational partnerships, and addressing global challenges through international development projects. It supports research that advances diversity and inclusivity that leads to an increased understanding of cultures and communities within the region and across Africa; it is the research that affects people and improves the quality of lives.
Projects in the SASSCAL 2.0 Research Portfolio are categorised according to project type:
- SGC (SADC Grand Challenges) addressing key integrated regionally relevant topics in at least three SADC countries and demonstrating that effective response to climate change and other forms of environmental and social changes will benefit from addressing three or more RPA’s. These projects contribute to establishing new research approaches and models in a sense of integrating research towards solutions to adapt to climate and land management changes.
- IRP (Individual Research Projects) enabling researcher groups to conduct research projects within clearly defined topics addressing one or more of the SASSCAL Research Priority Areas (RPAs). These projects deal with innovative and novel research approaches and methods supporting a better understanding of environmental systems that are affected by climate change and that take interacting environmental and socio-economic processes and their relevance for improving adaptation strategies into account.
- SP (Support Projects) offering an international research consortium the opportunity to engage in scientific exchange and cooperation on SASSCAL topics addressing SASSCAL’s RPAs across locations.
- SIDP (Scientific Infrastructure Development Projects) targeting support activities that focus on building and/or improving scientific infrastructure such as Data and Information Systems, Scientific Instrumentation and Information Technology, laboratories or other research facilities supporting SASSCAL’s research, capacity development and service provision goals.
- NS (Network Support Projects) aiming to reinforce and complement previous or ongoing SASSCAL projects with a specific user-oriented research topic that is either complementary or gap-filling, including the continuation of monitoring projects, data-intense projects.
Within the scope of the five project type categories, the following 13 SASSCAL 2.0 projects have been launched: